Sunday, December 23, 2012

Washed & Sewn Crackle

All washed and ready to sew into something!





It washed up so soft and flexible!  I was afraid that this fabric would be stiff as a board, because I have been warned that it can be!  But mine washed up super soft and super pliable.  Now I just need to fix my mistakes, practice some more, and then I will probably feel comfortable enough to do some sort of project with it.  Up close, it's a pretty neat weave structure.  I really like how the colors are mingling with each other, and the texture is out of this world.  As you can see, the threads rotate between horizontal and vertical quite a bit.  I can't wait to explore this weave some more!

 I decided to turn this little sample into a little pouch!



It's so colorful and cheerful!  It's about the size of a coin-purse.



 I specifically made it to hold all our buckyballs.  Don't know what those are?  Find out here



They are actually quite educational and fun to play with.  I think of it as a no-commitment project when I play with them!  (As opposed to weaving, which is such a huge commitment!)  Buckyballs are these tiny strong magnetic balls that are meant to be a desk toy, but some children have been eating them and then it pinches their intestines together and causes a lot of damage.  They end up getting really sick and needing surgery.  If used under the normal conditions, buckyballs are a fun thing to play with.  Unfortunately, the government is taking them off the market though because of the health-risks they pose to small children.  I think of it as one advantage to not having small kids around here...


They are just a lot of fun to build little things with, mess around with, click together, and just not have to think about anything!


This is a little bit off topic, but I have been helping some weavers understand profile drafts and how to use them to convert a project to summer and winter, in order to reduce the huge floats in a project.  So, I thought I would share the stuff here.  If you can't view the original powerpoint on weavingtoday.com, I have saved each individual picture at ravelry.com and also helped a friend convert the whig rose draft from a profile draft to summer and winter.  It is all found at http://ravel.me/cutler070805/pdt for just in case you are also interested in learning this!



Now, time to go warm up with some tea!